
Katy Perry has condemned the White House for using her song ‘Firework’ to soundtrack footage of US military strikes on Iran.
The Trump administration shared the video through the official White House TikTok account earlier this week, pairing footage of military operations with Perry’s 2010 hit. It was accompanied by the caption: “Iran has been warned.”
Responding in a statement on X today (July 25), Perry said she had neither been consulted nor granted permission for her music to be used.
“I am deeply appalled and angry to see ‘Firework’ used on the White House TikTok as a backing track for video footage of military strikes,” she wrote. “I did not approve this, I was not asked, and I absolutely do not condone it.”
Perry went on to explain the intended message behind ‘Firework’, describing the track as an anthem designed to support people experiencing difficult periods in their lives.
I am deeply appalled and angry to see “Firework” used on the @WhiteHouse TikTok account as a backing track for video footage of military strikes. I did not approve this, I was not asked, and I absolutely do not condone it.
I wrote this song to be an anthem of hope, healing, and…
— KATY PERRY (@katyperry) July 25, 2026
“I wrote this song to be an anthem of hope, healing, and inner strength for people going through their darkest personal moments,” she continued. “To see a message of self-worth and upliftment weaponised to soundtrack destruction and violence is a complete violation of everything my song stands for.”
She concluded: “My music is for bringing people together, not celebrating warfare.”
‘Firework’ originally appeared on Perry’s third album, ‘Teenage Dream’, and became one of her biggest singles, topping the US Billboard Hot 100.
The song has previously been associated with a very different White House administration. Perry performed it outside the Lincoln Memorial during the televised celebration marking Joe Biden’s presidential inauguration in January 2021, accompanied by a large fireworks display across Washington DC.
Perry is the latest in a growing number of musicians to object to the Trump administration using their music in government social media posts.
Last month, Ariana Grande criticised the White House after her song ‘Bye’ was used in a video showing ICE agents detaining people, telling the administration not to associate her music with the “barbaric, inhumane” footage.
Kesha also hit out after ‘Blow’ was used in a military video, while Boards Of Canada and Warp Records condemned the unauthorised use of ‘Deep Time’ in a post featuring border patrol boats and detention centres.
Sabrina Carpenter previously described an ICE video featuring ‘Juno’ as “evil and disgusting”, while Olivia Rodrigo accused the administration of using her music to promote “racist, hateful propaganda”.
Other artists and estates to have objected to Trump using their work include The Rolling Stones, Adele, Neil Young, Jack White, ABBA, Céline Dion, Foo Fighters, Isaac Hayes’ estate and Eddie Grant.
Perry recently announced that her ‘Lifetimes’ concert film will be shown in more than 150 cinemas across the UK. Katy Perry: The Lifetimes Tour – Live From Paris will launch in cinemas and IMAX screens across 70 countries on September 2, with tickets for UK screenings going on sale here next Thursday (July 30).
It follows the news that Perry’s ‘Lifetimes Tour’ raised more than £80,000 for the Music Venue Trust.
The post Katy Perry condemns White House for using ‘Firework’ in Iran military strikes video appeared first on NME.
Katy Perry condemns White House for using ‘Firework’ in Iran military strikes video
Source: Pinay Confessions PH

0 Comments